Thursday, June 7, 2007

Not so Keen?

Thinking is so over-News-Tech & Web-Personal Tech-TimesOnline

Thinking is so over The web was going to be the great educator, but the cult of the amateur is now devaluing knowledge, says net entrepreneur Andrew Keen
Doom and gloom and a bit more doom and gloom on the side, sir?

I get what he's saying to an extent... but I think that to judge the way Web 2.0 is now at such an early stage is mistaken. So, everyone's jumping on the bandwagon... so what? Eventually things will settle down and the real value of the changes which seem so ever present right now will emerge... won't they?

I have to admit I'm in the 'don't trust Wikipedia' camp. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing act of collaboration, but my experience of using wikis in education has been disappointing to say the least. Only the most vocal or technically confident seem to be active participants - and no matter which way you look at it, those attributes don't necessarily make them the best producers of reliable information. I'd rather have slow creation and accuracy than fast production and misleading. Wikipedia is not Web 2.0 at its best.

Anyway, I've been sucked in. I've ordered his book 'The Cult of the Amateur'. I may or may not agree with him wholeheartedly... but I have just given him a wee bit of pocket money to spend. Kind, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...