Sunday, March 29, 2009

Deleting bits of my online self

Sometimes a gal gets a bit bored. Y'know. The shiny sparkly new service / tool she's started using loses its lustre. In the spirit of that, I just deleted myself from Plurk. It's not that it's a bad tool, particularly. It's a bit unreliable along the same lines as Twitter and its infamous Fail Whale, if y'know what I mean! There were some advantages to using it - the threading of discussions was good, for example. But, the difficulty of following conversations where you missed the start or where your contacts have lots of other contacts you don't know (and who you wouldn't choose to follow)... and you can't avoid their interjections makes it much harder work than it need be. Yes, you can easily mark all messages as being read... but you can't just pick out some messages to read and others to avoid terribly easily. On Twitter, I dip in and dip out and it doesn't seem to matter. I don't have lots of messages waiting for me. I just have a stream which continually flows. No 'read or unread' required really. Just watch it passing you by.

So... bye-bye to Plurk. It was fun. I couldn't keep up. Turns out I like the simplicity of Twitter more than I thought! Now then... about that next shiny bright thing on the horizon... :o)

PS Deleting my Plurk account involved a couple of clicks. Can hardly believe it was that easy. Time will tell no doubt...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...